COZAD, Neb. -- Evans Frozen Bakery Products here has launched a multimillion dollar expansion project aimed at making production more efficient and enabling it to widen distribution.
Until now, the company, which makes a variety of bake-off products that include breads, rolls and sweets, has limited its distribution to the Midwest. The company posted $6 million in sales last year.
"We're investing more than $5 million in modernized equipment that will make production more cost-effective," said Gale Evans, president. "Also, because everything will be computerized, we'll be able to produce a more consistent product, and increase the variety of formulations we use."
In particular, the company will add a line of crusty multigrain breads, he said. He expects to add 50 items to the company's current line-up of 300 products.
At least 80% of Evans' products are destined for supermarket bakeries. The other 20% go to traditional food-service outlets.
The company's 40,000-square-foot manufacturing facility here will not be enlarged, but new equipment is expected to triple the speed with which some products are made. Evans said he expects to reach nationwide distribution by next spring.