Following is a time-line of some highlights in the history of NAWGA:
pts wholesalers to organize in support of the legislation to form the National Wholesale Grocers' Association.
1920: Maurice Toulme is named as NWGA's second executive vice president. (Tenure lasts until 1954.)
1921: The first voluntary wholesale group is started by S.M. Flickinger Co., Buffalo, N.Y., to help independents combat the threat of chains.
1933: The National Wholesale Grocers' Association merges with American Wholesale Grocers' Association to form the National-American Wholesale Grocers' Association.
1956: Rudy Treunfels is named NAWGA's fourth executive vice president.
1965: Jerry Peck is named NAWGA's fifth executive vice president. His title is changed to president in 1977.
1969: The U.S. Wholesale Grocers Association merges with NAWGA, which retains a separate identity for the Institutional Food Distributors of America (later the International Foodservice Distributors Association).
1982: NAWGA moves headquarters from New York to Falls Church, Va.
1986: John Block becomes the sixth president of NAWGA.
1996: NAWGA celebrates its 90th anniversary. A vote was scheduled for March 2 on changing the association's name to Food Distributors International to reflect the combination of wholesale and food-service membership and its growing international scope.