PROCESS MAY HAVE CONTAMINATED STEAKS: USDA
griculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service reports that vacuum-packed steaks processed by Stampede Meat, Chicago, may have become contaminated with E. coli 0157:H7 after bacteria was transferred by an injection process used for flavor enhancement and tenderizing. The 739,000-pound recall was announced after public health officials concluded the recalled product may be linked to five E. coli illnesses in Minnesota, Kansas and Michigan. The items were produced between March 17 and March 22, 2003, and bear the establishment code "EST. 19113" inside the USDA mark of inspection. Steaks are usually more resistant to contamination and not subject to recalls, due to the way they're cut, one reason this case in particular interests them, officials noted.
DEAN FOODS TO BUY HORIZON ORGANIC
DALLAS -- Dean Foods Co. announced yesterday it would acquire Horizon Organic Holding Corp., Boulder, Colo., for $216 million. The nation's largest dairy processor earlier owned 13% of the company; this deal is for the remaining 87%. Horizon Organic, the largest supplier of certified organic milk in both the United States and the United Kingdom, markets a U.S. product line that includes organic milk, a full line of organic dairy products and organic juices, pudding, fruit gels and eggs. In the United Kingdom, the company markets and sells organic milk, yogurt and butter under the Rachel's Organic brand. The transaction also includes access to organic versions of International Delight creamers and Hershey flavored milks, as well as Silk soymilk, some varieties of which are also organic, according to company officials.