Supermarket News magazine will publish its annual “The Power 50” on July 20, 2009. In this issue, SN will profile 50 “power players” — people who are sometimes controversial, but always compelling — who currently wield the most influence in the food industry and beyond. You are invited to submit candidate names for the list of 50.
WHAT DEFINES A POWER PLAYER?
It is not possible to develop a single, precise definition of a power player. However, there are certain traits that are likely to be evident. Power players wield enough influence beyond their immediate responsibilities and companies to become forces for changes that impact the larger industry.
Following are some characteristics of a power player. It is unlikely that any one nominee will possess all of these traits:
• Actions and decisions have lasting impact on the industry.
• Possesses authority and influence.
• Possesses a clear vision of a goal and pursues it regardless
• Develops a model for a merchandising, marketing or other
challenge that is likely to have a wide impact outside of the
• Persuasive and charismatic.
• Politically connected, family connected.
• Responsible for significant assets, both capital
WHO CAN BE NOMINATED?
You may nominate anyone inside or outside the food industry who you believe fits the criteria outlined above. The nominees can include (but are not limited to) retailers, wholesalers, manufacturers, sales agents, consultants and those in associations, labor unions, government and consumer groups. There is no charge for submissions. All nominations will be carefully weighed by the editors at SN.
HOW MANY POWER PLAYERS CAN YOU NOMINATE?
You may make as many nominations as you wish.
HOW TO NOMINATE POWER PLAYERS:
Here are the steps for submitting nominations:
1. On the nomination form, enter the candidate’s name and
identifying information and your name and information.
2. Fill in the reason for the nomination. If you are using a
paper form,you may add additional sheets if the
explanation runs long. SN may choose to use all or part
of your explanation in its story on the power players.
3. Nomination forms must be received by SN by April 27. This
will be the final date for submissions. You have four
options for sending the form:
a. Fill it out here and click "Submit"
b. Print and fax it to SN at (913) 514-9282
c. Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
d. Mail it to: Supermarket News, Penton Media, 249 West
17th St., New York, NY 10011.
Attention: Christina Veiders
4. If your candidate is chosen, you may be asked to help us
locate the person for an interview or to help us access
information about the person.
5. If you have questions, you may email them to:
View the next page for the 2009 Power 50 Nomination Form.