WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Agriculture here has launched the “Nutrition SuperTracker” a new online feature on its ChooseMyPlate.gov consumer health and wellness website.
The new resource is “designed to assist individuals as they make changes in their life to reduce their risk of chronic disease and maintain a healthy weight,” according to a release from the department. Features include:
• Personalized recommendations for what and how much to eat and amount of physical activity.
• The ability to Track foods and physical activity from an expanded database of foods and physical activities.
• Customized features such as goal setting, virtual coaching, weight tracking and journaling.
• A progress tracker with comprehensive reports ranging from a simple meal summary to in-depth analysis of food groups and nutrient intake over time.
• A social networking feature that allows users to support family and friends by adding their individual profiles.
"Overcoming the health and nutrition challenges we face as a nation is critical and the SuperTracker provides consumers with an assortment of tools to do just that," USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack said in the release. "This easy-to-use website will help Americans at all stages of life improve their overall health and well-being as they input dietary and physical activity choices into the tool. During the holiday season we are surrounded by good food and this is a perfect time to 'Enjoy Your Food, But Eat Less.'"