ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Wegmans here has announced plans for a "Veggie Party" from noon to 3 p.m. on Saturday, March 10 at all Wegmans Food Markets. The events will feature music, decorations and games for kids, as well as samples of eight vegetable combinations and demos of how to create veggie-based recipes at home.
“Vegetables are so good for you — they provide many of the nutrients that keep us healthy,” Wegmans Nutritionist Jennifer Felice, said in a press release. “But many of us don’t know about simple techniques and flavor accents that can make veggies extra delicious, or ‘craveable.’ Our culinary team went to work on creating vegetable dishes so irresistible that everybody at the table will be finishing their vegetables - with no urging needed!”
According to the release, the following items are planned for tasting and cooking demos:
- Spicy Indian Pan-Simmered Cauliflower — The Veggie Coach shows how pan-simmering, a cooking technique featured in the Winter 2012 issue of Wegmans Menu Magazine, is a quick way to give vegetables a whole new life. Ready in less than 15 minutes!
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Carrots, Parsnips & Savory Sauce — A Wegmans chef shows how quickly veggies can be ready to roast in the oven, and how this cooking technique mellows flavors and brings out natural sweetness, making roasted veggies a special favorite for kids.
- Cooking Greens — Dark leafy greens are nutritional superstars. This demo shows how a little lemon juice, garlic, salt, olive oil and grated cheese turn greens like kale, Swiss chard or collards into one great-tasting dish. Practical even for busy weeknights with bags of cleaned and cut greens that streamline prep time.
- Fresh Baby Arugula with Vinegar Spritzer — An instant-gratification salad idea that’s zesty, peppery and bursting with Vitamin A: take one bag of ready-to-serve, triple-washed baby arugula greens and accent them with Wegmans Mango Vinegar “Spritzer” for a fat-free mist of flavor with a hint of sweetness.
- Corn with Shallot Thyme Butter — Wegmans Just-Picked Organic Frozen Corn, ready to microwave in its own bag, finished with a swirl of Shallot Thyme Butter before serving. What could be easier or yummier?
- Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach and Craisins — A favorite combination of Wegmans customers, whether they buy it already prepared as a side dish with one of the $6 Meals or make it at home.
- Veggie Sushi: Thai Sweet Potato Roll — New at Wegmans, this variety is made with baked sweet potato, red coconut curry sauce and avocado and rolled into a nori seaweed wrap. No fish ingredients! Wegmans uses only fresh-milled short grain rice and its private blend of sushi vinegar for a taste that rivals the best Japanese restaurant sushi. For those hesitant to try sushi before, this makes a great introduction.