1. Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie Open to More Acquisitions: Onstead
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A year since closing the deal to bring Winn-Dixie and Bi-Lo together, the combined company is working as a single entity focused on growth — including the potential of additional mergers.
2. Gallery: FMI 14th Annual Store Manager Awards Finalists
The Food Institute named 10 finalists for its 14th annual Store Managers Awards, recognizing supermarket store managers who generate sales growth, provide great customer service and contribute to meeting company goals.
3. U.S. Exit Could Take 3 Months: Tesco
LONDON —Tesco here said Wednesday efforts to exit the U.S. are "going well," though it could be "at least another three months before we are able to conclude the process," the Financial Times of London reported.
4. Charlotte’s Food Retailing Hinges on Harris Teeter
It was only a few years ago that Harris Teeter ascended to its No. 1 position in the Charlotte market, but this February the company said it is exploring the possibility of selling itself.
5. Van Helden to Succeed Lee as Stater President, COO
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — Stater Bros. Markets here said Peter Van Helden has been named president and chief operating officer, effective June 1. He succeeds Jim Lee, who is retiring.