PLEASANTON, Calif. — Safeway here said it plans to close all unsold Dominick's stores and withdraw from the Chicago market by Dec. 28, the day before its fiscal year ends.
Safeway previously announced it had sold four of its 72 Dominick's stores to New Albertsons Inc., which operates Jewel-Osco in the Chicago market. It was not clear how many other stores might be sold before they go dark.
In a memo to Dominick's employees dated Oct 25, which was published online by Crain’s Chicago Business on Thursday, Dewayne Howard, director of human resources for the division, said, "Dominick's sincerely regrets that it is necessary to take this action and that ... jobs are affected.
"For locations that are closed, the closures are expected to occur on or about Dec. 28, and all employees at those locations are expected to be separated on or about Dec. 28. The closures are expected to be permanent.
"For affected employees who are represented by a union, the applicable collective bargaining agreement may contain certain bumping rights."
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarketnews|