MONTREAL — Yogurt targeted to men, a spray-delivered orange soda for kids, and boil-in-bag pasta were among the finalists in the SIAL d’Or competition held here May 9 and 10 in conjunction with SIAL Montreal.
The competition sought to identify the most innovative new products from around the world that were introduced in 2011. Trade journalists from 29 countries submitted products from their respective countries in nine different categories, and then judged them based on their innovation and sales success.
The winners in each category will compete for the SIAL d’Or grand prize to be presented at the SIAL Paris exhibition in October.
No products from the U.S. made it to the finals. Dole Frozen Fruit Smoothie Shakers were the second-place finisher in the sweet frozen category, and won the country SIAL d’Or for the U.S. as the product with the most votes among all U.S. products that were submitted.
The finalists, each of wins a SIAL d”or prize for their respective category, were:
• Mammoth Yoghurt from New Zealand, a large-size, single-serve yogurt in a square container marketed specifically toward men. (chilled dairy category).
• A bake-in-bag, lemon-and-herb seasoned trout product from Hungary (chilled non-dairy category).
• A boil-in-bag pasta that uses high-grade semolina to prevent sticking from Czech Republic (savory grocery category).
• Guzzle Puzzle, a jelly candy from the U.K. that allows kids to piece different flavors together to create their own snack (sweet grocery category).
• Foglia a Foglia, or Leaf by Leaf, a line of frozen leafy vegetables, including spinach and chard, from Italy that uses special technology to keep the individual leaves separate from freezer to plate (frozen savory category).
• A granulated ice cream product from Russia (sweet frozen category).
• Turbo Tango, a spray-in-your-mouth orange soda from the U.K. (non-alcoholic beverage category).
• A liqueur sachet line from Spain that offers a small amount of liqueur for flavoring individual cups of coffee. (alcoholic beverage category).
• A sulfate-free, additive-free environmentally friendly wine from France (wine category).